Goodbye to the Tiger Moth
On this day, the last ten De Havilland Tiger Moth biplane trainers in service with the RAAF were flown in a group from Point Cook to Tocumwal, on the Murray River, where they were to be put up for sale to private owners. Australia's air force had been the first in the world to adopt the Moth type for training purposes. It purchased its first Gypsy Moths in 1927, before even the RAF acquired them. At the height of their use, in support of the Empire Air Training Scheme during World War II, the RAAF operated over 860 of these aircraft, including 732 delivered from De Havilland’s factory at Bankstown, Sydney. The RAAF received its first Bankstown Tiger in May 1940 and its last in August 1942. With the departure of the last Moths from Point Cook, the RAAF bid farewell to the biplane age.