RAAF Overseas Headquarters opened in London
In anticipation that Australians trained under the Empire Air Training Scheme would soon be manning a total of 18 squadrons within the RAF, the War Cabinet decided in May 1941 to establish a separate headquarters in London to look after the welfare of Australian personnel. During September, Air Marshal Richard Williams flew from Melbourne to establish the new office, arriving at Bristol on 5 October. RAAF Overseas Headquarters was opened in Kodak House, Kingsway, on this day, with Williams as Air Officer Commanding (AOC) and Air Commodore Frank McNamara, VC, as his deputy. The Air Liaison Office formerly operating from the High Commission at Australia House (which McNamara previously ran) was closed. Within a week Japan entered the war in the Pacific and Williams was recalled to Australia in late January 1942, leaving McNamara to take over the new London headquarters (with acting rank of Air Vice-Marshal).